Friday, November 9, 2012

Key Trend and Tablet Computing Combined

Key Trend: People expect to be able to work, learn, and study whenever and wherever they want to.
Technology: Tablet Computing

Reading this report on tablet computing has reiterated information I have been conveying to my fellow work and school colleagues for the past 2 years. After purchasing my iPad2 over a year ago, I have not left home without it. The only place I don’t use my iPad is at work (because it is against the site security policy to bring in any form of tablet, cell phone, laptop, computer or media device). Do to the portability and convenience; I actually keep my iPad (and my wireless keyboard) in my purse. This Horizon report stresses how people now expect to work, learn, and study whenever and where ever they are. Work and learning are often two sides of the same coin, and people want easy and timely access not only to the information on the network, but also to tools, resources and up-to-the moment analysis and commentary (Johnson, Adams, & Cummins, 2012). A major force that affects people being able to work, learn and study anywhere is culture. It was once thought that only those with money or those who came from families with higher education would be the only ones able to achieve higher education. Because of the convenience of online education everyone has the same opportunities for higher learning. As a culture, the mind set of not needing or wanting or being able to have an education needs to shift. Those without higher education now, have to adjust their mind sets because an education for all is very much achievable.

I am a living witness and example of a person who expects to work and learn at anytime. My iPad, allows me to do just that. Since purchasing my “tablet” the easy of retrieving information and having access to so many different applications has allowed me to be more productive during times I would normally be sitting and wasting time. For instance, when I get my hair done, I am now able to sit under the drier and complete my school work. Why? Because of only educational institutions like CTU and my tablet having internet access through Wi-fi. Tablet computing presents new opportunities to  enhance learning experiences in ways simply possible with other devises (Johnson, & et. al., 2012). Tablet computing has allowed people of all situations the opportunity to pursue education and have computer access because of their portability and affordability. Because tablets are able to tap into all the advantages that mobile apps bring to smaller devices, but in a larger format, higher education institutions are seeing them not just as an affordable solution for one-to-one learning, but also as a feature-rich tool for field and lab work, often times replacing far more expensive and cumbersome devices and equipment (Johnson, & et. al., 2012). Affordability of tablets is an economical force that will continue to allow tablet computing to be successful trend. Even Apple sees the opportunity and as a result, they have created a smaller and less expensive version of their iPad.
Does the modified Delphi process that they used to develop it affect the results?
For this particular study, I think the Delphi process used provides a true big picture view of the world as it is. The panel selected for this research provides a great level of collaboration on the subject of trends and technology as it relates to education the direction education is going in. I think the Delphi process used provided a full spectrum view.

References:
Johnson, Adams, & Cummins, (2012). The NMC Horizon Report: 2012 Higher Education Edition. Austin, Texas. The New Media Consortium.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for providing important information. All your information is very valuable to me.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete